Flounder Recipes: 6 Best Flounder Dishes Inshore Anglers Should Be Making
Flounder Recipes That Everyone Will Love
One of the best inshore species of to fish to target is the flounder. They can be a challenge to catch but they produce the whitest and a great tasting meat. Flounder are truly delicious to eat. Bake it, grill it, fry it or broil it, the point is just cook some flounder. Over the years we have compiled some of our favorite flounder recipes that I guarantee you love to as much as we do.
6 Flounder Recipes You Have To Try
Flounder Recipe #1: Lemon Pepper Baked Flounder
Lemon Pepper Baked Flounder (Photo Credit: Allrecipes.com)
This one of a kind flounder recipe is the perfect way for preparing fresh flounder. It will allow you to keep all the natural flavors that people love. Easy to make and fast preparation makes this one of my favorite flounder recipe.
Ingredients: What You Need To Make Lemon Pepper Baked Flounder
- 4-6 Flounder Fillets (Depending on how many people you are feeding)
- 1 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind (about 3 lemons)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons black peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking spray
- 4-6 Lemon wedges (One baked on each fillet)
Preparation: How To Make Lemon Pepper Baked Flounder
1) In a bowl mix the: 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp grated lemon rind, 1 1/4 tsp crushed black peppercorn, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 garlic cloves. Mixed thoroughly until you have made a paste.
Mix Lemon Pepper Ingredients Until You Have A Paste (Photo Credit: Youtube)
2) Preheat the oven to 425°.
3) Once you have made your lemon pepper paste you need to obtain a cooking pan to cook the fillets. Coat the pan with cooking spray to ensure the fillets do not stick. Using a spoon, coat the flounder fillets with your lemon pepper paste. Ensure the entire fillet is coated equally with your garlic lemon pepper paste. This will help hold the moisture of the fillet in while cooking.
When prepared right this flounder recipe will be your new favorite flounder dish. This will have your taste buds dancing with excitement. This flounder dish is best served with your favorite veggies. It is preferred to bake the flounder with your asparagus. Rice is another wonderful side dish to serve with this dish. Lemon pepper baked flounder is guaranteed to leave your family begging for more.
Flounder Recipe #2: Parmesan Crusted Baked Flounder
Parmesan Crusted Flounder For Dinner (Photo Credit: Food & Wine)Parmesan crusted baked flounder is the perfect dish to serve to friends or family. The presentation is one for the books. This dish works best with fresh flounder. This is a flounder recipe that all inshore anglers need to know.
- 4-6 flounder fillets (Depending on how many people you are feeding)
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt and freshly ground pepper (Hand sprinkle)
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp melted unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Flounder Recipe #3: Southwest Grilled Flounder
The Delicious Southwest Grilled Flounder
This explosion of flavor is the perfect way for grilling flounder. If you are like me then you love to grill fish. Grilling fresh flounder produces a one of a kind flavor. This is a dish that will have your friends and family begging for more.
Ingredients: What You Need To Make Southwest Grilled Flounder
- 6 to 8 Fresh flounder fillets
- 1/4 tsp minced onions
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (Optional: depending on the amount of heat you want)
Preparation: How To Make Southwest Grilled Flounder
Grilling The Flounder Fillets
1) In a small bowl mix your spices together if you elected to make your own flounder rub.
2) Coat your flounder fillets with the flounder rub so there is an equal layer found over the fillets. Gently rub the spices into the fillets.
3) Prewarm your grill to a medium heat. This will be around 250°. It is suggested to cook them on top of aluminum foil or a grill screen to avoid the fillets from falling apart and through the grill.
4) Once the grill is heated, cook for 4-8 minutes or until the fillets begins to flake. Be careful not to overcook because it will dry the flounder fillets out. A properly cooked fillet should back the juiciness and flavor. If you place a digital thermometer in the fillet it should read about 135° F.
Plated Southwest Grilled Flounder With Salad
Once the flounder has been cooked, plate it for serving. Cook your favorite grilled veggies with it for an exceptional dinner combination. I generally love to cook asparagus, grilled zucchini, and squash or corn. This flounder dinner will pack the flavor you have been looking for.
Flounder Recipe #4: Stuffed Flounder
Stuffed Flounder Great For Flavor And Presentation
One of my all-time favorite flounder recipes. This dish is perfect for a dinner based on presentation and flavor. It will take a little more preparation time but the end result is so rewarding.
Ingredients: What You Need To Make Stuffed Flounder
- 1 to 2 Whole Flounders (cleaned and head removed)
- 1 ea. Thinly sliced yellow squash
- 6-8 Asparagus (Cut in half and throw away bottoms)
- 2 ea. Roma tomatoes (cut in half)
- 2-4 ea. freshly sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp Flounder rub or Chef Paul Prudhomme's Redfish Magic (see recipe in flounder recipe #3)
- ½ lb. Bay Scallops
- ½ lb. Lump Crabmeat
- ½ Cup Chopped green onion
- ½ Cup Chopped celery
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Chopped and seeded poblano pepper
- 3 Tbsp Chopped red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp Minced garlic
- 1 Cup Fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 Tbsp Freshly grated or shaved Parmesan cheese
- ½ Cup White wine
- ½ ea. Fresh Lemon- (juiced)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Stick Butter
Preparation: How To Make Stuffed Flounder
To Stuff A Flounder, One Must Remove The Bones
When it comes to making stuffed flounder presentation is key. The most common question I get is how do I remove the bones from the flounder? This is a very easy thing if you know what you are doing. Place the flounder on the cutting board belly down. You want to cut down the medial line of the fish until you reach spinal cord. Peel back the two top flounder fillets from the rib cage. Once you have opened the top of the fish, you should be able to work your way around the entire fish until the entire flounder skeleton comes out in one piece. This leaves you a meat boat of flounder to cook your stuffing in.
1) On the oven in a sauce pan, heat the butter and olive oil to saute the onions, celery, and peppers. After you have cooked on high for 2-4 minutes on high heat, add your garlic. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
2) Remove your saute from the stove and add your bay scallops and breadcrumbs. Add white wine to the mixture to moisten the stuffing. Once the stuffing is mold able carefully add your lumped crab meat and Parmesan cheese. Add your flounder rub to mix and mix it all together. The flounder stuffing is ready to be stuffed and cooked.
3) At this point you need to determine if you will bake or grill your stuff flounder. Either option comes out extremely well. If you decide to bake it in the oven, preheat the oven to 400° F. If you decide to grill the flounder, heat the grill to medium heat. (300-350° F)
4) Place your flounder onto two sheets of aluminum foil. This will make the foil boat that the stuffed flounder will be cooked in. Around the flounder add your squash, asparagus, mushrooms, and tomatoes. In the flounder boat add your flounder stuffing and cover with the two flounder flaps.
5) Close the foil and place the stuffed flounder in the oven to bake or on the grill to cook. Allow for it to cook for 20-30 minutes. Check on it continuously. The flounder meat will become flaky when it is cooked.
Baked Stuffed Flounder Ready To Be Plated
One the flounder is done place it on a serving dish for eating. It is a great center piece to allow a family to pick from. The veggies, stuffing and flounder makes for an exceptional meal.
Flounder Recipe #5: Flounder Ceviche
Flounder Ceviche Served On Lettuce Wraps
If you are like me then you are always searching for some new and exciting appetizer dish. I searched long and hard for a way to make my flounder into a delicious appetizer. I catch so much flounder and have so much frozen, this makes for a appetizer the whole family will love.You may be asking yourself, "What the hell is ceviche?" Ceviche is raw seafood soaked in citric acid like lime, lemon, or grapefruit juice. This is a dish loved all over the world and makes for the perfect appetizer.
How is it safe to eat raw fish? We only recommend the use of sushi grade fish or light boiling to ensure all bacteria is killed. Citric acid is not guaranteed to kill bacteria, but it will cause denaturing of proteins which will result in the changing of the seafood texture. Lets jump in and show you the best way for making flounder ceviche.
Ingredients: What You Need To Make Flounder Ceviche
- 4 to 6 Boneless Flounder Fillets
Preparation: How To Make Flounder Ceviche
1) Place your flounder fillets into a bowl. Pour your grapefruit juice into the bowl and mix it with the fish to ensure it all is combined. Wrap the bowl and place in the refrigerator to chill for about 20 minutes. When it is ready the fish will be white. This is because of the reaction it has with the acid in the grapefruit juice.
2) After the 20 minutes and the has turned white, remove all of the grapefruit juice. Squeez off all excess juice with your hands. Combine the tomato, cucumber, onion, and cilantro with the flounder. Season the flounder ceviche with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the clam-tomato juice, the hot sauce and chile, if using. Chill it then serve.
Flounder Ceviche Ready To Be served As The Perfect Appetizer
(Photo Credit: Cooklikeajapanese)
Flounder ceviche is best served cold. Simply serve it with crackers or on lettuce wraps. Flounder ceviche is a one of a kind appetizer that is perfect for using your fresh flounder. Serve with a great cup of white wine and watch your dinner guest ask where you bought it from.
Flounder Recipe #6: Caesar Parmesan Glazed Flounder
Caesar Parmesan Glazed Flounder (Photo Credit: Fine Cooking)
Caesar Parmesan glazed flounder is a recipe that is guaranteed to get your taste buds excited. Flounder is one of the best white meat fillets that cook up perfectly with our Caesar inspired glaze. This is a recipe that has a simple preparation time and can be ready quick even with a busy schedule. One of my go-to recipes when I bring home fresh flounder. Guaranteed to have your family begging for more.
Ingredients: What You Need To Make Caesar Parmesan Glazed Flounder
- 8 skinless flounder fillets, 4 to 5 oz. each
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (I only use Dukes mayonnaise)
- 1-1/2 oz. (1/2 cup) freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, grated on the small holes of a box grater
- 1-1/2 tbsp. grated lemon zest (from 1 large lemon)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small minced clove garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Preparation: How To Make Caesar Parmesan Glazed Flounder
1) Meanwhile, whisk the mayonnaise, Parmesan, lemon zest and juice, Worcestershire, and garlic in a small bowl. Season with pepper to taste.
2) Season your flounder fillets with salt and pepper. Roll each fillet up until you have a few flounder rollups. Place the flounder rolls on a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
3) Preheat your broiler to high. Place the flounder rolls in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until the tops turn a little brown. Remove then from the over.
4) Carefully coat the flounder rolls with your Caesar Parmesan glad and broil for another 2-3 minutes. Broil until all the Caesar glaze turns golden brown.
Cooked Caesar Parmesan Glazed Flounder Rolls (Photo Credit: Stylish Cuisine)
These Caesar Parmesan glazed flounder rolls are an explosion of taste. They are such a new and refreshing way for preparing your flounder. This way of making flounder pairs nicely with rice and fresh veggies.
Flounder is one of the best eating inshore species of fish. The beauty of cooking flounder is it cooks excellent almost anyway. Catching the flounder is half the battle, how you prepare it can make or break a dinner for your friends and family. My number one rule when cooking fish is I will never fry it. Fried flounder is such a traditional way of cooking it. We like to think outside the box and find creative ways for preparing it. We hope that you will try a few of these recipes for yourself and give us some feedback as to if you and your family enjoyed them. Maybe you have a favorite flounder recipe that we did not post; we want to hear it. Please leave a comment below or email us at email@example.com. Send us your best flounder pictures to be featured on our website and social media accounts. Be sure to check out our other flounder related blogs like How To Catch Flounder Like A Pro or How To Clean Flounder Effectively. Pick up your flounder jigs from Hunting and Fishing Depot for your next inshore fishing trip. Make sure to tell us which flounder recipe above is your favorite recipe? Please share your thoughts in the comments. Get in the kitchen and make one of these fantastic flounder recipes.